Cedar Valley Baptist Church
Job Description (Rev. 2/24/22)
Job Title: Youth Minister
Reports to: Pastor (Personnel Committee if no pastor)
Position Status: Part-Time (20 hours per week)
Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
Position Summary: Led by the Holy Spirit of God, the Youth Minister will introduce youth to a personal relationship with Christ, disciple them in spiritual growth and train them to serve Christ with their lives.
- Be a born again believer with a maturing relationship with Christ.
- Show a faithful pursuit of leadership characteristics as listed in 1Timothy 3.
- Possess a strong desire to serve God in the position and be called by God to serve as a youth minister.
- Prior experience leading youth groups or youth Sunday School classes
- A thorough knowledge of the Bible is essential.
- Demonstrate a genuine love for young people and maintain good rapport.
- Sensitive to needs and pressures of teens.
- Able to teach, train and disciple youth workers.
- Subscribe to the constitution and doctrinal statement of CVBC.
- Able to exercise initiative and judgment as an independent worker.
- Possess organizational and administration abilities.
- Continue personal growth and development through conferences, reading, and exchange of ideas with others.
- Must be able to comply with and support the CVBC “Statement of Faith.”
Duties and Responsibility
- Weekly duties: teach Sunday School on Sunday and lead Wednesday evening Bible Study.
- Provide oversight of 6th grade-12th grade students and youth volunteers.
- Maintain a balanced program of spiritual, physical, and social growth within the youth group that will lead the lost to Christ.
- Provide opportunities for youth to discover the personal gifts and abilities with which God has blessed them.
- Foster open communication with parents/guardians through personal interactions at church, home visitations and enlisting them as volunteers.
- Participate in worship services when requested.
- Attend Sunday school, worship services and other events of the church.
- Be available and an encouragement to parents and guardians who are raising their teenagers in a Christ-like maturity.
- Help integrate youth into various church activities.
Training and Development
Maintain effective leadership for each youth program by the following:
- Provide direct supervision to the Christian education program of the youth ministry.
- Involve youth in the ministry through outreach & mission projects, camps and retreats to foster teamwork and spiritual growth.
- Enlist and provide support and assistance to adult volunteers in order to build effective and healthy relationships with youth.
- Provide leadership training for youth volunteers.
- Evaluate and make recommendations concerning teaching materials and methods used in all of the youth programs.
- Be an advisor / resource for the church congregation regarding youth education.
- Maintain a well-planned program throughout the year coordinated with the church calendar of events and the church budget process.
- Notify the volunteers, parents and youth of events in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate, delegate and ensure the youth and youth volunteers understand their responsibility in church events, such as VBS, retreats, mission trips, and special events.
- Communicate and encourage the participation in the youth program and its activities on a timely basis through all church media.
- Submit a budget and pre-schedule all activities, including post-activity plans prior to each event to the Pastor.
- Review safety considerations for participants during all scheduled activities and secure medical alerts and appropriate waivers.
- Seek activities with other local youth ministers.
- Provide input and support monthly to the Youth Committee in order to establish and maintain a philosophy of youth ministry and annual goals.
- Provide annual budget to the Finance Committee in order to establish and maintain a philosophy of youth ministry and annual goals.
- Weekly interaction with the Senior Pastor and staff for mutual accountability.
- Ensure proper care of facilities used by youth programs.
- Attend additional committee and staff meetings as requested.
- Review and discuss annual job performance evaluation with the senior pastor.